Why we choose Joy for our CFM Member Spotlight in July:
She is ALWAYS open to coaching critiques and implements immediately to improve her own performance. She is a friendly face in our community and welcomes new members quickly. She works her ass off and sets one hell of an example for Jade. Not sure what her lifts look #-wise but she’s made great strides in a very short period.
– Coach Jenna
CROSSFIT MENDOTA MEMBER SPOTLIGHT:
1. How did you first hear about Crossfit?
I first heard about Crossfit from my coworker Todd Peterson but I was invited to a BAF day by fellow CFMer Steve Becker. I went with Steve in October of 2014 and the rest is history.
2. What does Crossfit Mendota mean to you?
This makes me a little emotional- to me, CFM means confidence- I’m still working on me but I’m physically stronger than I have ever been which makes me mentally stronger too. The community and coaches at CFM play a huge role in my commitment to my long term health.
3. What is your favorite movement in crossfit and if you could make up any workout what would it be?
My favorite movement is power clean- I feel so strong and stable. If I could make up any workout, I would combine the power clean with some running- that one probably already exists.
4. Tell us 3 things we may not already know about you?
I feel like I’m an open book but-
I grew up in poverty- many days without electricity, running water or knowing if I would eat.
I was the first person in my family to go to college.
I hate to see people suffer, especially if its due to inequality of some kind.
5. What does a typical day look like in the life of Joy?
Up early, check CNN, Twitter, Facebook, get ready for work, jam out on my way to work, get to work before everyone else, get focused, do my best in the fight against cancer, go to CFM (2-3x/week), get home for dinner and time with my favorite people- Gabe and Jade, go to bed.
6. If you were a super hero what power would you want and why?
I would want to be able to manipulate time- I would want to slow somethings down, especially time with my family.
7. If you were placed on an island and could only bring 3 things with you what would they be?
beef, water, jump rope
8. Favorite CrossFit Mendota memory
I have so many, but right now my favorite memory is from just last week- seeing Jade back in the gym after surgery getting her swole on!